250g Root One Penne
1 Butternut Squash
1 tbsp Olive Oil
2 Garlic cloves
1 teaspoon Chilli Powder
1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
40g Marscarpone (or 50ml Soy Cream for a Vegan Version)
1 Sprig Fresh Rosemary, roughly chopped
Salt & Pepper
Serves 4 Gluten Free & Vegetarian
- Preheat the oven to 220C (Fan 200)
- Halve the Aubergines lengthways, then score the flesh vertically and horizontally to create a criss cross pattern, being careful not to pierce the skin too often. Pop in the oven on a baking tray and cook until the flesh is soft and slightly charred, about 30 minutes.
- Whilst the Aubergine is in the oven, chop the squash into small cubes, mix together with the Rosemary, Salt and Pepper. Squash the Garlic with the flat of a knife and then add this as well. Roast in the oven for 20-25 mins.
- Once the flesh of the aubergine is soft and charred, remove from the oven and allow to cool. Once they are cold enough to handle, scoop out the flesh and place in the blender.
- If the Butternut Squash is ready, remove from the oven and set to one side.
- Add the Smoked Paprika, Chilli Powder, Marscarpone and blend to a smooth paste. Depending on preference, take either one or both of the garlic cloves from the tray with the squash. Make sure all the skin is removed and blend into the sauce too.
- If needed, loosen the sauce with water, you want it to be quite thick, but not solid!
- Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Bring a Pot of at least 2.5 litres of water to boil, then add the Root One Penne. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 6 minutes. Strain, rinse and mix together with the Aubergine and Garlic sauce. Top with the Butternut Squash and Rosemary and serve!
This recipe is taken from Root One Food, purveyors of high-protein, high-fibre, low-GI, Gluten free pasta. For more delicious recipes using Root One Pasta click here.