This recipe is taken from Root One Food, purveyors of high-protein, high-fibre, low-GI, Gluten free pasta. Adapted from a recipe by Joe Wicks on Instagram it has an additional protein boost by using Root One penne. For more Joe Wicks recipes click here and for more delicious recipes using Root One Pasta click here.
Takes 30 minutes
• 125g Root One Penne
• 1 Medium White Cauliflower
• 40g Hazelnuts, Crushed
• 100ml Single Cream
• 60g Hard Italian Cheese, Grated
• 1 Medium Egg
• Salt & Black Pepper
• Olive Oil
- Preheat a baking tray with the oven set to 210C (190C fan). Remove the stalk and leaves from the cauliflower then break the head into small florets (I cut up the larger ones). Then add to the backing tray with a glug of oil, salt and a good sprinkling of black pepper. Roast for 15 minutes or until starting to brown, then add the hazelnuts, give a good mix and put back in the oven for another 5-10 minutes.
- Whilst the cauliflower is roasting, bring a pot of at least 1.5 litres of water to boil. Once it’s boiling rapidly add the Root One Penne and turn down the heat to a simmer, cook for 6 minutes, then strain and give a quick rinse (You want the pasta to stay hot though!)
- Crack the egg into a mug and whisk with a fork.
- Tip the pasta back into the pot you cooked it in, add the cheese and whisked egg. Give it a good mix – the idea here is the heat of the pasta cooks the egg. It should start to form a sticky sauce, then add the cream to loosen and continue to stir. You may need to put the pot back over the heat once you add the cream because it will cool the sauce down.
- Once you’re happy with your creamy, cheesy carbonara sauce add the cauliflower and hazelnuts, salt & black pepper (I like a lot of black pepper with mine!) mix thoroughly so everything is coated in sauce and serve.