When you don’t know what to cook for vegetarian guests turn your attention to what’s growing in the greenhouse. Just two or three aubergine plants can swamp the kitchen with delicious, shiny purple fruit. Don’t waste a single one, make this in bulk and serve as a tasty dip, side dish or a vegetarian option.
This quick recipe uses half an aubergine and the microwave. For larger quantities, bake the oil drizzled fruits in a medium heat oven for 30-40 minutes until soft and then mash the flesh and serve warm.
- ½ aubergine, flesh scored
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1-tablespoon olive oil
- 1-teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- Ciabatta slices, toasted
- Fresh basil leaves, to garnish
- Fill the scored flesh of the aubergine with the chopped garlic.
- Drizzle the aubergine with olive oil and cover with the thyme leaves, then wrap in microwave-safe cling film.
- Place the wrapped aubergine into a shallow bowl, cover with microwave-safe cling film and microwave for five minutes on a three quarter power setting. Remove the cling film and pull off the aubergine skin.
- Place the skinless aubergine in a bowl, and with the back of a fork mash it up.
- To serve, spoon the soft aubergine mix onto toasted Ciabatta bread and garnish with basil.
NB Please make sure you use Microwave safe cling film, anything else may melt on your food. Alternatively bake the aubergine, drizzled in oil but NOT wrapped in cling film in a medium hot oven for 30-40 mins.