You’ll be the talk of the neighbourhood if you grow these jet-black Asiatic lilies. With long lasting, exotic blooms in the richest, deepest black purple possible, lily ‘Night Rider’ is the most exotic ingredient you could plant in your garden this season.
It has long lasting, satin sheen flowers on tall, 60cm (23in) stems, making them excellent blooms for dramatic cut flowers, or for that container display with a difference.
The buds will burst in high summer into the elegant flower shape of a trumpet lily and the beauty and resilience of an Asiatic lily, but with the richest, deepest purple black petals. A simply stunning plant for the gardener that wants to make a statement and stand out from the crowd.
Plant en masse for a stunning dark effect, or add a contrasting lighter colour to create a dazzling display.
These extraordinary lily bulbs are hardy and can be planted into the garden immediately, or planted into pots and containers and grown on for the ultimate summer display.
- Choose a moist, free draining, neutral to acid soil that is rich in organic matter.
- Before planting, add plenty of well-rotted manure or garden compost to the soil to give your lilies the very best possible start.
- Prepare your containers and baskets before planting. Use Richard Jackson’s Premium Multi Purpose Compost for the best possible results. It enhances drainage and root development and is enriched with Flower Power nutrients, extra wetting agent, Root Booster humates and seaweed extract to give your plants a great start to the season.
- Feed regularly throughout the growing season with Flower Power to get the very best from your plants and masses more flowers.
- Lily bulbs should be planted at a depth of about 3 times their own height and 15cm (6in) apart. Planting deeply helps to protect the bulb during particularly hot periods.
- For the best results choose a sheltered, sunny position where lilies will grow with their heads in the sun and their roots in the shade.
Buy lily ‘Night Rider’ from Richard Jackson’s gardening show on QVC on 28 and 29 January 2017.