Fuchsias are a fantastic choice for your baskets and containers. The flowers look exotic and are formed en masse throughout the summer. Fuchsia ‘Swingtime’ has large double flowers with white frilled skirts with contrasting, beautiful bold red sepals, each one resembling little dancing ballerinas. It’s a trailing fuchsia which makes it ideal for baskets, or plant it on the edge of a mixed container to trail down over the edges for a stunning, waterfall effect. The plants flower from June right through until October, remove the spent flowers to keep them flowering for longer.
Fuchsias are easy to grow. For the best value, buy small, plug plants that you can grow on in a frost-free place to establish before they are ready to plant outside.
- Pot them up into small 9cm pots using a quality potting compost. Keep them frost free, ideally in a greenhouse until they are ready to plant outside.
- Allow the roots to fill the pots and then plant out into containers to allow them to establish before placing outside.
- Prepare your containers and baskets before planting. Use Richard Jackson’s Premium Multi Purpose Compost for the best possible results. It enhances drainage and root development and is enriched with Flower Power nutrients, extra wetting agent, Root Booster humates and seaweed extract to give your plants a great start to the season.
- Feed regularly throughout the growing season with Flower Power to get the very best from your plants and masses more flowers.
- Keep them well watered in hot sunny weather, but don’t overwater when the weather is cooler.