Even the most reluctant cabbage fans will love this recipe, it transforms this unassuming vegetable into a delicious punch of flavours, perfect to eat hot with a roast, even a nut roast, or cold with cheese.
- 180ml red wine
- 1 small red cabbage, finely shredded
- 3 apples – peeled, cored and chopped
- 4 tablespoons brown soft sugar
- 250ml vinegar
- 3 tablespoons of redcurrant jelly
- ½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon of sultanas or raisins
- ¼ teaspoon of ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon of ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons of butter, divided
- Place the red wine in a large ovenproof pan or tray; add the red cabbage, apples, brown sugar, vinegar, cinnamon, allspice, cloves and sultanas plus one tablespoon of butter.
- Cover with a lid or foil and place in the oven for 45 minutes at 160C or Gas Mark 4, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage is tender. Stir in the remaining butter before serving.